Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Medical Education in 1870

In 1870, a leading medical school in the US needed to re-evaluate the quality of education they were providing. This lead to a great debate among the faculty over whether a student applying to the medical school should be literate or not. With a majority vote of 5 out of 9 faculty, the medical school decided that literacy should not be made a requirement for admission. The name of this medical school was Harvard.
This gives us a little historical glimpse of how widespread literacy was in the US. (or wasn't)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis