Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, May 07, 2010

Crossed The Tiber Blog is 4 Years Old!


"In order to get into Rome, the City of the 7 Hills, one needs to cross over the Tiber River. This has become a metaphor for converting to Catholicism. After thirty years as an evangelical Christian, I have recently Crossed the Tiber. It's been over two years now and not a moment of regret or wistful desire to cross back do I have. However, I do have a sadness over friendships lost and a smaller circle of immediate friends. But as compensation, I have the palpable sense of having joined a community with 1.5 billion souls on this planet as well as those who have gone before which seems to make up for the temporary losses!
I start this blog in order to explain my journey across the Tiber River as I have experienced it to be a most satisfying and authentic way to live. Becoming Catholic has not just been a changed address on Sunday morning for me, but a brand new (actually ancient) way of apprehending God and being apprehended by Him. I am saddened by the way in which many people (myself included until recently) dismiss Catholics and 2000 years of Christian history."

With those comments above I began my blog 4 years ago on April 27th. 1381 blog posts later I continue to desire to share with others the reality that Jesus is truly with us in the breaking of the Bread-the Eucharist. It has been a great experience for me and I hope and pray that it has had some benefit in helping others understand the Church in a new light. It has also been a great source of strength and fellowship. To meet so many other converts and reverts has made me realize how widespread the Tiber Crossing Phenomenon is (and actually always has been).

The greatest blessing for me is to still see comments on my conversion story show up every once and awhile and to see that others are inquiring about this thing called "The Catholic Faith."
More than anything else, what keeps me going with it, is knowing that on any given day a protestant or ex-Catholic may, with fear and trepidation, google "Catholic convert...."

God bless you all!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Miller said...

Happy Tiber Jumping Day!

May 07, 2010 10:28 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

Tempus Fugit.

May 07, 2010 11:16 PM  
Blogger Kindred Spirit said...

Many happy returns of the day, and may Almighty God richly bless you.

May 08, 2010 12:00 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Congratulations on the last four years. Your blog and input were a part of my own journey across the Tiber. God bless!

May 09, 2010 7:27 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks so much Gretchen. If I could help just one person see the beauty and Truth of the Catholic faith, than I feel like it is all worth the effort. God bless you and thanks again!

May 09, 2010 9:18 PM  
Blogger George @ Convert Journal said...

Congrats Russ! You inform and inspire a lot of people through your blog and music.

1,381 blog posts! 4 years!

May 16, 2010 11:40 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks so much George! You are doing an excellent job on your blog. Lord willing God will lead people to blogs like ours to help them discover the truth and beauty of the faith

May 16, 2010 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis